Wound cleaning solutions are used on the skin to help the healing process and reduce wound infection. They come as wipes, sprays, solutions and creams, and can be used for wound irrigation or before using a plaster or dressing.
Types of wound cleansers include:
- Sterile wipes are wrapped for hygiene purposes and can be used to treat minor wounds. They can be alcohol free so are safe to use on all age groups.
- Antimicrobial sprays which support wound healing.
- Saline wound wash is a sterile irrigation solution which cleanses a wound with no stinging, and helps to remove debris and bacteria.
- Barrier creams and antibiotic ointments are anti-inflammatory and can be used on damaged or sore skin giving them a protective coating.
- Antiseptic solutions, such as iodine or chlorhexidine gluconate, can also be used to prepare the patients skin receiving surgical wounds. This will remove any contamination from the skin before the incision is made.